Welcome to “Behind the Scenes.” This monthly, online column provides members with a backstage pass to see what CAMFT is doing to serve our members and how we are working to ensure that the interests of LMFTs and MFT Interns and Trainees are being served.
- Staff participated in 9 meetings with: BBS, Executive Director of BBS, Executive Director of AAMFT, Medicare Access Coalition, MFT Leadership Collaborative, Irregulars, Orange County Consortium, VA Summit, and “From Virginia Tech to Isla Vista: New Approaches to Keeping Guns from Dangerous People” hosted by The Consortium for Risk-Based Firearm Policy. It is critical for CAMFT to have a place at the table with other mental health professionals and regulatory bodies. These meetings will always be a high priority.
- CAMFT Legal Staff responded to 1839 calls from members with questions on legal, ethical, and licensure issues. Access to this expert, legal guidance is one of the most beneficial and popular member benefits.
- Over 17,370 people visited the CounselingCalifornia.com website with 14,451 of those being unique visitors. There were hits to 4,523 different therapist profiles and 35,825 total page views. This marketing tool is available to all members for the purpose of promoting services to the public. Create your profile now.
- CAMFT submitted letters to: Deputy Director Karen Baylor, Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Services, Department of Health Care Services thanking the agency for their inclusion of LMFTs and MFT Registered Interns as direct Medi-Cal providers; Assembly Appropriations Committee opposing unless amended the Advanced Alcohol and Drug Licensing Act (SB 570); Congressman Jeff Fortenberry thanking him for co-sponsoring the Mental Health Access Improvement Act of 2013 (HR 3662); and Senator Jim Beall supporting the Mental Health and Substance Use Parity legislation (SB 628). CAMFT consistently interacts with key legislators, agencies, and other organizations to reinforce how proposed legislation may be beneficial or harmful to LMFTs and MFT Interns and Trainees. Advocacy is a cornerstone of CAMFT’s commitment to members. To learn more about the bills CAMFT is tracking, visit our Legislative Action Center.
- CAMFT staff participated in 4 Congressional Office meetings in Washington, D.C.: Congressman Scott Peters, Congressman Mike Thompson, Congressman Sam Farr and Congressman Raul Ruiz. CAMFT consistently interacts with key legislators, agencies, and other organizations to reinforce how proposed legislation may be beneficial or harmful to LMFTs and MFT Interns and Trainees. Advocacy is a cornerstone of CAMFT’s commitment to members,
- CAMFT Lobbyists and staff attended 2 fundraisers for Congresswoman Grace Napolitano and Congressman Jared Huffman. CAMFT supports candidates who have demonstrated an understanding and willingness to fight for the issues most important to Marriage and Family Therapists.
- Board members and staff participated in 3 chapter meetings at San Fernando Valley, Central Coast and Ventura County. Chapter meetings are a prime opportunity for CAMFT leadership and staff to hear directly from members and exchange ideas for serving members. Click here to connect with your local chapter.
- Staff presented 2 Law and Ethics Workshops at San Fernando Valley and Sacramento Valley Chapters. The law and ethics seminar is a valuable training tool that gets consistently positive response from MFTs and other participants.
- Staff presented a seminar at 1 school: California State University, Dominguez Hills. Presentations to schools are an effective way to engage the next generation of CAMFT members.
- The CAMFT Purview Committee and Robert’s Rules of Order Task Force met. If you are interested in serving on a Committee in 2015-2016, please send a cover letter indicating the committee in which you are interested along with your resume to CAMFT at 7901 Raytheon Road, San Diego, CA 92111. Committee appointments are made by the President of the Board of Directors. Click here for a list of Committees.
Tell your therapist friends that they can enjoy these same benefits by
joining our dynamic and influential organization!